How will the entries be judged?
Only submissions in jpeg format, A4 landscape orientation, received via email at [email protected] will be accepted. Deadline for entry is December 14, 2015.
Winning designs will be produced using digital printing technique on 350 gram Panama cotton textile. For this reason, it is imperative the design is a print, not embroidered or jacquard.
Entries should consider the diversity of products on offer at Bemz and the scale and placement of designs. Please keep in mind that only a small number of products can properly support a large scale repeat and any motifs requiring centring should be avoided. The pattern repeat should be as achievable on a small cushion cover as on a large sofa.
All designs must be achievable and reproducible under reasonably cost-effective conditions.
It is imperative for the candidates to enrich their presentation with high quality images (photos, computer-generated imagery, sketches etc.) and a faultless layout.
Technical and aesthetic measures for entries:
Entries shall be assessed based on the following criteria:
• The design will be printed on 100% Panama cotton (350 gram) from Bemz using digital printing technology.
• The width of the repeat / print must be 148 cm.
• The pattern repeat must be matched end to end – both on the vertical and the horizontal ends.
• At least one (1) colour in the pattern needs to be tone in tone with one of the solid colour shades of Panama Cotton included in the existing Bemz collection, excluding Absolute White, Soft White and Jet Black.
• The Bemz colour tone(s) incorporated into the designs must be identified by name in the entry.
• The design must also be presented with a minimum of two (2) other Bemz textiles which should be identified by name in the entry.
• The design must be able to function as a slipcover/fabric for both small and large products. The full list of interior textile products available at Bemz is available on Bemz.com.
• At least one (1) rendered image on which the design is projected should be included in the entry. Suitable rendered images are available to download here.
• At least one (1) lifestyle image depicting your design on a sofa with a minimum of two fabrics from the existing Bemz range represented in the image. This can be any product from the Bemz range: cushion covers, curtains, armchair covers, etc. Suitable lifestyle images are available to download here.
• It is imperative that the designs support the Bemz design concept of a coordinated range of products.
• The design must fall under the set theme for the BEMZ DESIGN AWARD.
• The concept of the design must be surprising and spark curiosity.
• The design must be original, belonging to the student who submits it and not under any other obligation / ownership or copyright restrictions.
Judging Panel – technical and aesthetic measures:
The judging panel shall assess entries based on the following criteria, also ensuring the technical and aesthetic measures outlined have been met:
• The Bemz colour tone(s) incorporated into the designs must be have been identified by name in the entry.
• The design must be presented with a minimum of two (2) other Bemz textiles which should be identified by name in the entry.
• The design must be able to be used across the complete range of products included in the Bemz collection, e.g., as a sofa cover, a chair cover, a cushion cover, a bedspread or as curtains. See the full list of interior textile products available at Bemz by visiting the Bemz website.
• As the winning textile designs will be included in the Bemz Designer Collection, it is imperative that the designs are suitable and appropriate for the Bemz Designer Collection both in quality and style. Visit the Bemz website for greater insight into the style of fabrics available. See www.bemz.com/en/designers.
• The design must clean, clear and sharp in quality.
• The design must be achievable and reproducible under reasonable cost-effective conditions.